Ecommerce System Performance Engineer
Responsible for the customer-facing and associate-facing commerce systems and the enterprise merchandising management systems. Supports the growth and support of J. Jill’s e-Commerce revenue contribution and branding initiatives. Assesses needs, sets direction, and takes action towards ensuring high performance enterprise-wide scalability and reliability as the business continues to grow. Analyzes and optimizes system performance of the e-Commerce systems, including content delivery technologies and processes to support a best-in-class e-Commerce platform. Optimizes the e-Commerce environment on a continuous basis to ensure optimal performance, provide recommendations for enhancements, and work with internal development teams as well as external vendors.
- Obtains and documents knowledge on e-Commerce system architecture, communication, and application servers.
- Identifies system performance monitoring needs and advocates monitoring strategies and solutions.
- Leads selection, deployment, and utilization efforts for system monitoring, including establishing baseline measures of current state, trending analysis, and identifying improvement opportunities.
- Defines system performance goals and reports on trending towards goals.
- Leads efforts in improving system performance through architectural, communications and application enhancements.
- Educates relevant associates in best practices for ensuring optimal system performance.
- Aligns closely with partners, translating business requirements into technical solutions.
- Analyzes problems in broad context to provide solutions aligned with the entire technical landscape and processes.
- Reverse engineers legacy technology.
- Participates in 24/7 support functions.
- Working knowledge of business functional areas:
- Direct to Consumer, particularly in e-commerce.
- Strong knowledge and capability in relevant technology and software:
- Experience with content delivery technologies, preferably Akamai, site acceleration, real user monitoring etc.
- Strong knowledge of web performance tuning and maintenance techniques.
- Experience with customer experience management tools, Tealeaf, Clicktale, etc.
- Monitoring strategies, services and tools for applications, servers, networks, communication channels storage and virtual machines.
- Experience with monitoring tools like New Relic, Solarwind, etc. preferred.
- Knowledge of cloud-based system architecture design.
- Experience utilizing and/or administering application and web systems (e.g. WebSphere Application Server, IBM HTTP Server).
- Professional and administrative skills
- Organization – strong habits of structure, process and controls to manage individual and collective activities.
- Team – able to share tasks and responsibilities to insure group efforts progress and succeed.
- Problem solving – able to use context, knowledge and creativity to analyze, diagnose and propose actions/option for resolution.
- Abstract thinking and creative problem solving skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Collaborative skills.
- Quality and detail oriented.
- Excellent written and verbal communication (Technical, Functional, Cross-functional).
- Process-oriented approach to analysis and design.
- Ability to respond quickly and effectively to changing priorities while working in a varied, fast paced environment.
- On-call support will be expected.
- Bachelor’s degree (CS, CSE, MIS, CE, Mathematics or other related field), or nearing the completion of a Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent work experience.
- 5+ years of experience in Java-based web applications and Commerce platform required; preferably WebSphere Commerce.
- Experience in content delivery design and engineering experience on an advanced network.
- Familiarity with performance testing tools (i.e. Rational Performance Tester).