Manager, Corporate Tax
J.Jill is a premier omnichannel retailer and nationally recognized women’s apparel brand committed to delighting customers with great wear-now product. The brand represents an easy, thoughtful and inspired style that reflects the confidence of remarkable women who live life with joy, passion and purpose. J.Jill offers a guiding customer experience through more than 280 stores nationwide and a robust e-commerce platform. J.Jill is headquartered outside Boston.
Reporting to the Controller, the Manager, Corporate Tax is a vital member of the Finance organization. This role is responsible for overseeing the filing of corporate income and franchise tax returns, estimated tax payments and corporate annual reports, and leading income tax audits for J. Jill. This position is also responsible for participating in the income tax function relative to financial reporting, maintaining the tax library and the integrity of the tax processing systems as well as miscellaneous tax issues brought forth from other areas of the company.
- Partners with external tax providers to oversee the state and local tax compliance function to ensure accurate and timely filing of corporate income taxes. Maintain calendars and controls, obtain financial data as necessary, review tax filings and ensure proper documentation of filings in tax files.
- Oversees income tax audits and negotiates audit and appeals with tax officials.
- Participates in the tax accounting process.
- Monitors tax legislation to determine impact on the company. Researches, plans, and implements changes that reduce the company’s tax burden.
- Participates in strategic tax planning in support of corporate expansion and restructuring objectives. This includes planning and forecasting of tax payments for budgeting and cash flow purposes.
- Consults with other areas of the company on tax issues and communicate with tax authorities, tax consultants and tax attorneys regarding pending tax matters and litigation.
- Directs donations of excess inventory to charitable organizations, monitor agency assignments and coordinate documentation.
- Complies with SOX controls applicable to the tax process by ensuring proper documentation is maintained.
- Partners with business leaders, Accounting, and FP&A colleagues to identify and implement improvements in tax process.
- Interfaces effectively with numerous individuals both inside and outside the Company, including the external auditors and external tax providers, to address and resolve accounting issues.
- Comprehensive technical tax knowledge.
- Familiarity with FAS 109, FIN 48 and Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX).
- Understanding of financial reporting principles.
- Experience preparing and reviewing tax returns for large, multi-state publicly traded company.
- Experience in researching and preparing complex technical/legal analysis.
- Experience preparing and reviewing substantive tax provisions.
- Ability to work on multiple projects at once with minimal supervision.
- Experience overseeing income tax audits is desired.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated project management skills.
- Ability to work independently with strong attention to accuracy and detail.
- Maintain flexibility in a fast-paced environment, and continuously evolving to meet changing business needs.
- Quick learner and problem solver when faced with new issues or challenges.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, or related field
- CPA license, MST or JD preferred
- 6+ years of related, progressive tax experience in a large corporation, preferably in a retail business, and/or combined experience in public accounting
About Us :
At J.Jill, our success is guided by a culture that values the intrinsic art of creativity and the data science required to drive our future growth. We are collaborative and data-centric, with every associate focused on creating our customer’s unique experience and delivering results through our omnichannel business model. We embrace each other’s differences and unique perspectives and consider all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, gender identity and expression, marital or military status. We also provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and applicable state and local law.