Ensures reliable and timely accounting and control of merchandise inventory which includes the annual physical inventory at all store locations and quarterly cycle counts for the distribution center. Provides support to Store and Warehouse network by analyzing inventory data, managing inventory databases, and making necessary adjustments as needed. Partners with the loss prevention provider to develop and manage target shrink program. Participates in month-end close process, ensuring compliance with all internal controls, as well as ad hoc reporting and special projects within the department.
- Participates in financial month end close process. Including but not limited to:
- Journal entries applicable to inventory
- Prepare related month end reconciliations
- Prepare journal entries relating to finished goods inventory balance and cost of goods sold
- Monitors & understands all inventory transactions created by functional users; works with them to ensure transactions are executed properly and accurately; facilitates resolutions as needed
- Reviews and reconciles P&L and Balance Sheet accounts, including cost center analysis and reporting on variances
- Assists in the planning, execution and reconciliation of all physical inventories in all retail locations
- Supports all stores with prompt and courteous solutions to their merchandise transfer and receiving questions and problems
- Tracks & analyzes daily inventory receipt
- Makes recommendations to reduce excess inventory on hand
- Maintains accurate inventory records by focusing on inventory obsolescence
- Processes physical inventory adjustments where indicated
- Supports routine reporting & data entry for Inventory control department
- Supports ad hoc project requests as needed
- Supports daily requests from the business including but not limited to adjustments, research and analysis of data
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Strong computer skills with an emphasis in MS Excel including V-lookups, filtering and pivot tables.
- Needs to be self motivated and work independently and analyze data to help identify potential areas of improvement
- Project management skills in order to conduct the annual physical inventory for all store locations.
- Excellent communication skills
- Displays a positive attitude and works well under strict deadlines with a sense of urgency
- Strong analytical thinking and problem solving ability
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Management, Finance or Accounting
- 4+ years accounting/finance experience; preferably with retail industry or inventory accounting focus
- Oracle or other ERP system experience preferred, but not required
- Financial Systems experience (Lawson, Oracle, Hyperion, etc.)
- Experience working in a Warehouse Management System
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by associates assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.