VP, Chief Accounting Officer (Remote)
J.Jill is a premier omnichannel retailer and nationally recognized women’s apparel brand committed to delighting customers with great wear-now product. The brand represents an easy, thoughtful and inspired style that reflects the confidence of remarkable women who live life with joy, passion and purpose. J.Jill offers a guiding customer experience through more than 280 stores nationwide and a robust e-commerce platform. J.Jill is headquartered outside Boston.
The Chief Accounting Officer leads all J.Jill accounting functions including general accounting, technical accounting, financial reporting, tax compliance, inventory, accounts payable, payroll, as well as cash and sales audit. Partnering with the CFO, provides visibility into financial performance and assesses risks and opportunities compared to strategic objectives. Develops a strong culture of partnership with other functional areas of the Company, leading by example and building a high performing team.
- Directs accounting and control functions, including general accounting, accounts payable, payroll, inventory control and sales audit; directs daily / weekly / monthly reporting of financial performance; oversees the production of consolidated financial statements for internal and external constituencies and ensures they are compliant with regulations and requirements; assesses and implements new accounting pronouncements; coordinates the completion of various external audits and related reports; develops and implements policies to safeguard assets; leads monthly reviews of financial performance with the CEO, CFO and J.Jill’s Leadership team.
- Oversees the preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual consolidated financial statements in accordance with US GAAP; prepares board level information, including audit committee materials. Leads SEC and related financial reporting, including Form 10-Q, Form 10-K and periodic reports on Form 8-K.
- Develops/executes work that will enable J.Jill to be compliant with public Company regulatory and other requirements, including Sarbanes Oxley and S.E.C. regulations; ensures that there exists an overall control environment that is consistent with well-managed public companies.
- Oversees tax compliance, including sales and use, personal property, escheatment and other tax and compliance requirements. Works with internal and external resources regarding all tax compliance and planning matters.
- Maintains commercial banking relationships and insurance broker relationships; ensures credit agreement requirements are met and good relations are kept with bank groups; further ensures that insurance risk / costs are analyzed, striking the right balance of risk management in relation to cost.
- Develops, implements, and executes processes to ensure timely and accurate reporting and review of financial statements with particular emphasis on ensuring the integrity of the balance sheet and overall operational performance. Oversees the timely preparation and review of the corporate financial statements, preparing the necessary support and presentation to executive management.
- Recommends optimization opportunities as they relate to financial reporting, accounting systems, treasury, and internal controls. Runs initiatives from planning to completion generating results that improve accuracy, speed, and integrity of financial and accounting results.
- Coaches and develops team to maximize performance and ensure job satisfaction, retention, and future advancement. Evaluates and recommends appropriate organizational structure to support changing business needs.
- Reports to CFO
- Oversees the Corporate Controller, Tax, and cash management teams
- Works closely in collaboration with FP&A, Legal, and all other functional areas of the organization
- Technical Acumen: Has managed a company's financial statements and systems, with responsibility for related technical functions. Preference for candidates who have been a Principal Accounting Officer at a public company. CPA required. 15+ years of experience.
- Industry Experience: Retail industry experience a plus but not required; additional consideration for candidates in hospitality (or other multi-location) and CPG.
- Transformation Experience: Has a history of improving process and infrastructure, and tightly managing controls. Can lead change and drive transformational improvements.
- Team Leadership: Experience building, motivating and developing top teams, with a track record of attracting and leading high-performing talent.
- Effective Communicator: Strong written and verbal communication skills are a must along with a demonstrated ability to communicate complex issues effectively with Leadership, Peers and Key Stakeholders.
- BA in Accounting/Finance or related field, CPA required, MBA strongly preferred
- Minimum of 15+ years of accounting management experience in similar size company
- Retail experience required
- Remote work will require travel to Quincy and Tilton offices when needed
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by associates assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
About Us :
At J.Jill, our success is guided by a culture that values the intrinsic art of creativity and the data science required to drive our future growth. We are collaborative and data-centric, with every associate focused on creating our customer’s unique experience and delivering results through our omnichannel business model. We embrace each other’s differences and unique perspectives and consider all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, gender identity and expression, marital or military status. We also provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and applicable state and local law.