Senior Manager, SEC Reporting & Technical Accounting
J.Jill is a premier omnichannel retailer and nationally recognized women’s apparel brand committed to delighting customers with great wear-now product. The brand represents an easy, thoughtful and inspired style that reflects the confidence of remarkable women who live life with joy, passion and purpose. J.Jill offers a guiding customer experience through more than 280 stores nationwide and a robust e-commerce platform. J.Jill is headquartered outside Boston.
Reporting to the Assistant Controller, the Senior Manager of SEC Reporting & Technical Accounting is a vital member of the Finance organization. This role is responsible for preparing the Company's filing of various SEC documents such as Form 10K, 10Q, 8K and other ad hoc filings. This position will also prepare internal management presentations for members of the Audit Committee, Executive Leadership Team and Board of Directors. In addition to financial reporting, this position offers the opportunity to leverage an extensive background of technical accounting. This individual will have the capacity to drive reporting and technical excellence. This position will be responsible for researching new accounting guidance and the accounting treatment of complex accounting issues and transactions.
- Prepares the Company's SEC financial reporting on Form 10-Q, 10-K and 8-K including creation of auditable support, and leads the analysis of the content
- Manages financial reporting to key stakeholders, including regulatory agencies; ensures financial statements are prepared in accordance with applicable accounting standards and regulations
- Manages the Company's XBRL reporting and control framework
- Drives continuous improvement and standardization in reporting
- Assists with the accounting for the Company's equity-based programs
- Monitors and researches FASB and SEC activities to identify any potential rule changes that may impact the Company; works with Assistant Controller and Controller to assess the impact of these rules, and updates disclosures for the impact of these new pronouncements to ensure complete disclosures in filings
- Establishes effective working relationships with key stakeholders within the organization
- Performs special projects and ad-hoc financial reporting as required; position works closely with the Assistant Controller on accounting projects associated with technical accounting matters and rule changes, as well as impairment analyses
- Documents the Company’s accounting policies and updates accounting policies, working closely with Assistant Controller and Controller
- Supports Investor Relations in assisting with preparation of Company releases and related matters and ensures consistent disclosure between releases, scripts, and SEC filings
- Assists with the month-end close process
- Manages the quarterly reviews and annual audit with external auditors
- Complies with SOX controls applicable to the external reporting process by ensuring proper documentation is maintained
- Partners with business leaders, Accounting, and FP&A colleagues to identify and implement improvements in financial process.
- Interfaces effectively with numerous individuals both inside and outside the Company, including the external auditors, to address and resolve accounting issues
- Expertise in reporting requirements in accordance with US GAAP and SEC
- Experience with ActiveDisclosure and/or wDesk filing software
- Solid understanding of accounting principles and general ledger functionality
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Ability to work independently with strong attention to accuracy and detail
- Maintain flexibility in a fast-paced environment, and continuously evolving to meet changing business needs
- Quick learner and problem solver when faced with new issues or challenges
- Ability to build partnerships, influence decisions and work in a collaborative style
- Creative thinker who can bring innovative ideas and approaches to solve issues
- Proficiency in financial accounting
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, or related field
- CPA license preferred
- 8+ years of related, progressive experience in financial reporting in a large corporation, preferably in a retail business, and/or combined experience in public accounting
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by associates assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
About Us :
At J.Jill, our success is guided by a culture that values the intrinsic art of creativity and the data science required to drive our future growth. We are collaborative and data-centric, with every associate focused on creating our customer’s unique experience and delivering results through our omnichannel business model. We embrace each other’s differences and unique perspectives and consider all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, gender identity and expression, marital or military status. We also provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and applicable state and local law.