Senior Financial Analyst (Retail)
The Senior Retail Financial Analyst is responsible for performing various financial activities including budgeting, modeling, forecasting and reporting to support decision making by senior management in the corporate office and the Retail field management team. They will plan, organize and develop fiscal planning of sales and store operating expense for over 275 stores. They will monitor actual financial performance and compare to budget and/or forecast projections, analyze and interpret variances, prepare a variety of reports and provide recommendations. He or she will have the capability to own and develop complex processes, have the ability to think strategically, seek opportunities for continuous improvement and contribute positively to the team environment of the Finance and Retail organizations. Reports to Senior Manager Financial Planning & Analysis.
- Proposes, develops, and monitors store sales and store operating expense plans for all stores and analyzes trends.
- Supports the development and preparation of the retail annual budget and financial forecasting processes and identifies areas to improve the effectiveness of financial planning activities.
- Partners with Retail Store Operations team in managing the store sales planning process, including updating sales forecasts based on trends and strategic initiatives
- Provides analyses and insights to ensure continuous progress towards achieving financial and performance management metrics by providing various types of financial reporting (including graphs/charts) necessary to evaluate store performance – e.g. standard and ad hoc weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reporting utilized in store performance measurement.
- Prepares weekly KPI dashboard for Retail and Corporate Leadership as well as other weekly reports on retail stores.
- Guides the Field and Retail Store Operations team by developing relevant reporting to help identify expense savings opportunities.
- Serves as a key business partner with Retail Operations, IS, Allocation, Company Planning and entire Field organization to understand store level operating expenses and participates in cross-functional project related initiatives.
- Provides insights into the performance of the business through research and analysis of alternatives of operating programs and financial requests.
- Organizes and analyzes sales and operating expense results for increased awareness, focus, methodology improvements and best practice modifications, as well as identifies opportunities for expense reduction and reinvestment.
- Works directly with corporate Accounting group during month end close to understand store expense variances to budget/forecast.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Strong analytical skills necessary to synthesize large quantities of data, identify trends and drivers and distills them into insightful analyses to senior management.
- Advanced skills in Excel, particularly building complex models and building tools for field organization (pivot tables, advanced look-up functions).
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work in a multi-tasking environment.
- Experience identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Maintains flexibility in fast-paced environment, continuously evolving to meeting changing business needs.
- Quick learner and problem solver when faced with new issues or challenges.
- Ability to build partnerships, influence decisions, work in a collaborative style and become a sought-out partner at all levels of the organization.
- Creative thinker who can bring innovative ideas and approaches to solve issues.
- Passion for driving and delivering results and delivering constructive change.
- Capability to work independently and to prioritize assignments to meet deadlines.
- Comfortable with ambiguity; can confidently articulate a point of view but also highlight the risks and opportunities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Economics or related field; MBA a strong plus
- 4+ years of related, progressive experience in financial planning in a large corporation, preferably in a retail and/or direct-to-consumer business
- Experience with complex financial modeling
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by associates assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.