The Planner plays a key role in developing, executing, and communicating strategic merchandise financial plans. This individual will partner with Merchants in driving and maximizing sales and margin.
- Develop, in complete partnership with their Merchant, the six-month Seasonal Merchandise Plans for their respective areas of responsibility and with respect to the company’s goals and targets. Present plans to Senior Management.
- Partner with the Merchant on managing the Monthly Business Review (MBR) process through the development of sales, margin, receipt and inventory forecasts, supporting these forecasts with unit projections, and reporting unit performance and forecasts and receipt issues during the MBR meetings. Present forecasts at monthly business review meetings (MBR) and provide analysis to support recommendations.
- Manage the receipts and inventory against targeted weeks of supply objectives and partner with merchandising to recommend actions that drive sales and maximize gross margin by ensuring best receipt flow.
- Partner with their respective Merchant to develop the ideal assortment to maximize sales and margin for each buy period, ensuring the appropriate costs, retails and number of customer choices to achieve each period’s targets.
- Evaluate and determine demand targets for assortment plan development.
- Determine unit quantities to buy and to reorder (to the color and size levels), which will effectively maximize the ability of the Direct channels to maximize sales and margin for each buy period.
- Develop and manage markdown, promotional and exit strategies for seasonal programs to effectively mitigate aged inventory.
- Maintain open and continual communication with Merchandising, Sourcing, and Marketing teams.
- Develop unit demand and inventory plans for major programs and key items to ensure adequate inventory coverage to meet fulfillment needs. Effectively monitor sales and inventory levels to project future stock needs or to recommend liquidation strategies.
- Through direction of the Planning Manager, partner cross channel with Retail Planner to ensure optimal inventories to best serve the customer needs.
- Monitor demand needs by style/color and maintain CNS codes to effectively manage back orders.
- Analyze and recommend size curves for buy quantities
- Partner with the Manager of Web Planning and Manager of Catalog Planning to exploit Web and Print opportunities and presentations to drive sales and margin.
- Adhere to the Corporate Calendar in preparation and ownership of meetings, due dates, delivery dates, etc.
- Be a leader, facilitate group discussions for maximum idea generation and problem solving.
- Work as an effective member of the Merchandise-Planning-Allocation team to achieve business and financial targets that support the business needs.
- Communicate and understand the brand, the vision, and the business strategies of the Company and effectively communicate to team and partners.
- Ensure tasks are completed on deadline and completely and accurately.
- Possess strong organizational skills.
- Find risk and the challenge of new problems stimulating and respond with action.
- Make quick, action-oriented decisions in response to changing conditions.
- Solve problems through innovative, futuristic thinking.
- Ability to lead cross-functional initiatives and projects.
- Focus individual and team efforts on achieving results.
- Identify what needs to be done and does it before being asked or required by the situation.
- Commit to positive results and maintains commitment regardless of obstacles and frustrations.
- Build rapport and relationships focused on achieving results.
- Own the process, plan and the results.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3+ years of specialty retail experience, preferably in Specialty Apparel Planning and Allocation. Additional demand planning and forecasting, and merchandising experience a plus.
- Strong analytical and financial skills.