Manager Print Production
J.Jill is a premier omnichannel retailer and nationally recognized women’s apparel brand committed to delighting customers with great wear-now product. The brand represents an easy, thoughtful and inspired style that reflects the confidence of remarkable women who live life with joy, passion and purpose. J.Jill offers a guiding customer experience through more than 280 stores nationwide and a robust e-commerce platform. J.Jill is headquartered outside Boston.
The Manager Print Production manages all aspects of production related to a variety of printed and digital deliverables across multiple business channels. In this role you will oversee the Studio/Graphic Production team, direct project management, financial analysis, creative thinking, negotiations, and vendor relations administration. The Manager Print Production handles all estimates, billing, and financial reporting related to production and partners with the Sr. Director of Creative Operations to develop multiple yearly budgets and manages related expenses. You will balance budget implications and creative concepts to deliver a successful end product. Working collaboratively across the organization to execute successful printings while holding vendors accountable to meet our brand quality standards is a key function, as is creating effective standard operating procedures and best practices for the file transfer, proofing, and print production processes.
- Manages and mentors the production team of two direct reports.
- Prepares final press-ready files based on supplied specifications for several types of printing.
- Oversees the day-to-day production workflows, ensures processes are followed, and work is produced at the highest quality. Identifies and resolves problems when issues arise.
- Analyzes and reviews graphic production operations, identifies areas of improvement and develops solutions.
- Establishes and implements best practices for production & file delivery in order to improve quality, accuracy, cost reduction, timing, and capacity.
- Trains and develops production staff to follow best practices and procedures.
- Ensures deadlines are being met and workloads are being reassigned when necessary.
- Manages relationships with our print vendors. Holds vendors accountable to our brand standards.
- Investigates and selects new vendors as needed.
- Handles contract and pricing negotiations with vendors.
- Purchases catalog paper and manages inventory across several printing plants.
- Communicates detailed print specifications & requirements to internal & external partners. Distributes information internally through our web-based project management tool.
- Manages the quoting & sampling of projects as requested by the internal Marketing & Creative teams.
- Attends cross channel kick-offs and status planning meetings. Provides creative problem solving when presented with production budget, design concept, and scheduling obstacles.
- Partners with project managers to create yearly production schedules and establishes file release dates.
- Allocates monthly signage kit components in vendor’s online ordering system. Monitors and maintains signage inventory levels.
- Partners with Visual and Store Ops as needed to fulfill store requests for signage and other printed materials.
- Estimates costs and expected material requirements for all printed deliverables including catalog, direct mail, and in-store signage.
- Creates POs for print jobs, tracks related expenses, and updates current forecasts.
- Quotes new and unique print jobs with selected vendors.
- Researches new vendors and maintains a new vendor database.
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail.
- People skills: building good relationships across Creative, the organization, and outside vendors.
- Experience with budgeting, expense tracking, and cost management.
- Adept at managing multiple projects at various stages, to ensure adherence to schedule, and budget.
- Skillful at holding vendors accountable to a high standard of quality.
- Comprehension of budget and expense implications. Skill to bid-out work and negotiate pricing.
- Knowledge and experience with multiple pre-press and print techniques, a variety of paper types, and varied USPS requirements.
- Skilled at sharing acquired knowledge and experience with team and internal partners.
- Ability to stay calm under pressure and work through difficult situations while being the voice of reason.
- Capacity to quickly absorb complex information and output an appropriate solution.
- Sense of ownership and accountability for projects.
- Approach to print production is a blend of art and science.
- Bachelor’s Degree Required
- 6+ years of print production experience in an in-house creative or agency setting
- Retail industry experience is preferred
- Experience with catalog and signage production is preferred
- Experience with WorkFront is a plus
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by associates assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
About Us :
At J.Jill, our success is guided by a culture that values the intrinsic art of creativity and the data science required to drive our future growth. We are collaborative and data-centric, with every associate focused on creating our customer’s unique experience and delivering results through our omnichannel business model. We embrace each other’s differences and unique perspectives and consider all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, gender identity and expression, marital or military status. We also provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and applicable state and local law.