Manager Customs & Compliance
J.Jill is a premier omnichannel retailer and nationally recognized women’s apparel brand committed to delighting customers with great wear-now product. The brand represents an easy, thoughtful and inspired style that reflects the confidence of remarkable women who live life with joy, passion and purpose. J.Jill offers a guiding customer experience through more than 280 stores nationwide and a robust e-commerce platform. J.Jill is headquartered outside Boston.
Our Manager Customs & Compliance maintains and continuously strengthens controls involved in the process by which goods enter the United States in conformance with all U.S. import laws and regulations. The Manager Customs & Compliance also protects brand integrity by verifying supplier compliance with J. Jill ethical standards and laws of the United States and the countries where merchandise is produced. Supports the Director on other ongoing compliance projects.
- Drives adherence to import regulations to ensure expeditious, cost-effective supply chain execution.
- Pre-classifies goods to be imported for proper declaration and accurate duty payment calculation at time of entry into the US; maintains and shares HS library with customs broker. Identifies import styles requiring US Fish & Wildlife declaration.
- Collaborates with customs broker to renew import bond annually.
- Partners with Sourcing to identify First Sale for Export (Duty Savings) supplier candidates and then coordinate with outside attorney to confirm the viability of the candidates. Spearheads annual First Sale supplier audits. Monitors and reports duty savings.
- Confirms duty free eligibility of styles to be imported from Free Trade countries; consults with Sourcing regarding Free Trade strategies and monitors expiration dates associated with those programs.
- Initiates Supply Chain Security Risk Assessment annually as part of the C-TPAT program.
- Updates Import Compliance manual annually and maintains post entry compliance testing logs.
- Provides regular support to the Director related to:
- New Supplier vetting and supplier portfolio maintenance
- Annual existing supplier recertification to J. Jill standards
- Annual supplier Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and C-TPAT audits
- Product license applications associated with trademarked fabrics
- Conflict Mineral due diligence
- Sustainability guidance given to J. Jill cross functional partners
- In depth knowledge of import regulations specific to classification, valuation, country of origin, free trade, and recordkeeping related to apparel, accessories and footwear.
- Certified Customs Specialist certification required; Licensed Customs Broker preferred
- Solid math skills
- Strong MS Excel, PowerPoint User
- Intellectual curiosity
- Experience with Gerber/Unique Product Lifecycle Management and Oracle is a plus
- Self starter who is collaborative but can work independently to meet deadlines
- Effective communicator
- Bachelor’s degree (BS/BA business/supply chain preferred)
- 6+ years experience with customs compliance at a specialty retailer strongly preferred.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by associates assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
About Us :
At J.Jill, our success is guided by a culture that values the intrinsic art of creativity and the data science required to drive our future growth. We are collaborative and data-centric, with every associate focused on creating our customer’s unique experience and delivering results through our omnichannel business model. We embrace each other’s differences and unique perspectives and consider all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, gender identity and expression, marital or military status. We also provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and applicable state and local law.