J.Jill is a premier omnichannel retailer and nationally recognized women’s apparel brand committed to delighting customers with great wear-now product. The brand represents an easy, thoughtful and inspired style that reflects the confidence of remarkable women who live life with joy, passion and purpose. J.Jill offers a guiding customer experience through more than 280 stores nationwide and a robust e-commerce platform. J.Jill is headquartered outside Boston.
The Assistant Controller manages the accurate and timely preparation of the Company’s internal and external financial reporting, ensuring GAAP compliance including research of technical issues, support of financial audits, and tax compliance. Works closely with Internal Audit, FP&A, Tax, Operations, and other departments in achieving these goals. In this role you will lead the day-to-day accounting operations and serve as a backup to the Corporate Controller in all capacities. You will make an impact on high-level department goals and objectives by way of effective communication and partnership with the CFO and Controller.
- Oversees and has responsibility for ensuring that the preparation of the Company's SEC financial reporting on Form 10-Q, 10-K, and 8-K meets SEC requirements.
- Reviews quarterly earnings release and determines appropriateness of items to be included/excluded from Non-GAAP measures.
- Participates in the monthly, quarterly, and annual close processes to ensure complete and accurate reporting.
- Communicates and explains accounting issues and evolving accounting guidance to the management team.
- Communicates directly with external auditors on financial statements and accounting issues to ensure agreement with Company’s decisions on accounting disclosures and issues.
- Prepares white papers for technical accounting matters.
- Establishes and publishes Accounting Policies.
- Ensures SOX compliance.
- Works closely with external tax specialists, reviewing and challenging information and assumptions used within the quarterly and annual tax provisions.
- Oversees a high-performing team of direct reports, which includes oversight and review of the retail (lease) accounting, fixed assets, and treasury processes, as well as partners with the general accounting function.
- Implements reporting and accounting procedures to comply with internal control requirements.
- Maintains an adequate system of accounting internal controls that meets internal and external audit requirements. Strives for constant improvement of processes which improve efficiency and compliance.
- Takes the lead on significant accounting projects, such as implementation of new accounting standards, impairment analyses, purchase accounting, etc.
- SEC and GAAP technical expertise.
- Knowledge of new accounting standards (such as ASC 606 and ASC 842), ability to research new accounting standards, and ability to apply new standards to a business and effectively communicate the impacts of new standards on the business.
- Strong interpersonal skills as this position interacts with external business partners, individuals throughout the company and senior management.
- Strong project management skills and ability to work independently.
- Ability to build partnerships, influence decisions and work in a collaborative style.
- Strong desire to learn and understand the business.
- Ability to manage multiple short term and long-term projects to timely completion.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Creative thinker who can bring innovative ideas and approaches to solve issues.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, or related field.
- CPA license.
- 8+ years combined audit/financial reporting experience in a Public Accounting firm, preferable with retail client experience, and external reporting experience.
- Experience working for a public multi-channel retail company is a plus.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by associates assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
About Us :
At J.Jill, our success is guided by a culture that values the intrinsic art of creativity and the data science required to drive our future growth. We are collaborative and data-centric, with every associate focused on creating our customer’s unique experience and delivering results through our omnichannel business model. We embrace each other’s differences and unique perspectives and consider all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, gender identity and expression, marital or military status. We also provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and applicable state and local law.